03 August 2017

Honest Mistake?




www.kopihangtuah.blogspot.com






I SCREWED UP a meeting recently. I was supposed to meet someone at a Starbucks but I went to a Coffee Bean instead. That person waited for me for half an hour. I thought I was waiting for him for half an hour.

Then I messaged him, "Hei I am at Coffee Bean. Where are you?" He said, "What? I thought you said Starbucks?!!" I screwed up. Why did I say Starbucks when I was meant to say Coffee Bean? Anyway, I rushed to Starbucks.

I said what many of us would have said, that is, "Sorry I made an honest mistake". He said, "No worries" Then we went on discussing business and all. I could not concentrate while having the discussion because I kept on thinking about the words honest mistake.

What does that really mean? Is there a dishonest mistake? A mistake is a mistake. A mistake is something that was done instead of what was supposed to be done. There is no honesty or dishonesty. It is simply a mistake.

How can you say something is a dishonest mistake? If you purposely intended to do something that is not acceptable by a standard or by another party, that is not a mistake. That is a purposely intended action.

You intended to do bad and you did it. You did not screw up. You just wanted to do negative stuff. That is not a mistake and certainly not a dishonest mistake. It is simply bad intentions.

So if bad intentions are not dishonest mistakes, then how can there be an honest mistake? You screwed up honestly? As opposed to you screwed up dishonestly? The same can be said about the words intentional mistake or unintentional mistake.

If it is intentional, it is not a mistake. You simply want to do bad stuff. The word mistake itself is profound because it is already embeded with the characteristics of honesty and unintentional status. Therefore, it should just be a mistake.

So why do we say the word "honest"? So positively profound is the word honest that it has the power to make people forgive you. When you say, "I made a mistake", you are likely to get a reply such as, "Hell yes you have. You bastard! You made a mistake. Remedy it please!"

Instead, when you say, "I made an honest mistake", you will get, "Ohhh... everyone makes a mistake once in a while. Cheer up! No worries mate!" This is how powerful the gestures of language are in having psychological impact between two people communicating.

So there you go. I am sorry that I wasted a few minutes of your time reading this. I made an honest mistake intentionally. Go figure!




* kopihangtuah





| mcmlxxv:viii:xxix |











0 comments:

Post a Comment