17 January 2013

Allah and its Exclusivity


www.kopihangtuah.blogspot.com


With that kind of attitude some or most non-Muslims have against the stereotyped idea of Islam, I'd imagine that they would not want to be associated with the word Allah.

LLAH is a sacred word said in prayers by millions of Muslims. Allah is also a trigger word monitored by the CIA, KGB, MI6 and many other intelligent agencies around the world when scanning the various forms of modern communications in the name of security. With that kind of attitude some or most non-Muslims have against the stereotyped idea of Islam, I'd imagine that they would not want to be associated with the word Allah. Amusing enough, here in Malaysia, we have some who fight to use the name Allah as if the word is so sacred to them that denial to use it has been taken as first priority political agenda and not using it is deemed not being able to practice their religion. In my mind, what a freakin waste of ink in the newspapers and efforts in arguing. In fact, bloody hell, I am wasting my freakin time writing this post. All blown out of proportion! Not allowing non-Muslims to use the word Allah is somehow equated to a denial from the freedom of religion?

I have read many articles in the past week by both Muslims and non-Muslims, both politicians and civilians, both religious group and hypocrites; and I find many are trying their very best to argue each other's points whichever side they are. They went as far as digging the history and various bibles for the use of the word Allah back in Arabian Jahiliah era or even the Hebrew context of the word. Intellectuals for religion, linguists and historians showing off their expertise like never before. All in the name of arguing for or against the use of this word. If there is an Alien from out of space visiting Earth, they'd be in laughter. It seems that everyone failed to address the main issue here. The issue is never about the religion's history or linguistic validity. The issue is the current state of acceptability by the nation. The issue is about whether the nation is offended.

If you translate it (Allah) into English or Mandarin or Hindi or Tamil or Cantonese or Hokkien or any other languages, it will still be Allah. Translating God from English to Bahasa Malaysia would give you Tuhan.



Who is the nation? It is quite impracticable to account for every single 30 million population of Malaysia. Therefore, we take the majority, i.e. the Muslims. Are the Muslims offended? Of course they are. One may argue that this majority approach results in the marginalisation of the minorities. Well, marginalised? Nobody is denying the minorities the freedom of religion. Neither is this denying the freedom of speech. In fact, freedom of speech has its conditions - the freedom is only valid if it does not breach national security. Toying the emotions of 70% of the population (assuming approximation of the Muslim population to equal the population of Bumiputras) is a trigger button to a breach of national security. Religion and race are the 2 most dangerous tools of political propaganda when breach of national security is concerned.

The whole debacle started when the word God in the bible is to be translated into Bahasa Malaysia for the Bahasa Malaysia edition. The word Allah is not Bahasa Malaysia. It is Arabic for heaven sake! The word is a special noun. If you translate Allah into Hebrew, it will still be Allah. If you translate it into English or Mandarin or Hindi or Tamil or Cantonese or Hokkien or any other languages, it will still be Allah. You don't need to pay lots of money to the liguists or historians or religious experts to conclude this. You just pay me RM20 for my Tutti Frutti and wallah! I give you the answer any moron can conclude. Translating God from English to Bahasa Malaysia would give you Tuhan. Gimme my RM20 please!


I think this (Allah in bible) and many other issues have been blown out of proportion, and manipulated by & for politics. Our country needs peace makers not destroyers.



I recently shared my opinion on the Facebook status. Someone replied by questioning why is it that offending the Muslims is a more important matter to be addressed than offending the non-Muslims who wants to use the word Allah? Well, really, do I need to answer this? What if some of us uses the names of other religions' gods or godesses? For example,.... errrrr, better not, coz I'd probably start an artificial offence by just trying to give examples.. See how sensitive it is to even use religion to demonstrate mockery? I may have been insensitive because I am a Muslim and I may tend to ignore the feelings of non-Muslims regarding this matter. To undo my insensitivity, I decided to sms my Christian friends for their opinions. My question was: Why would you, a Christian, be offended if you are denied to use the word Allah? The answers I received were:
  1. The word (Allah in bible) has never been sacred to Christians. I suppose they are just trying to preserve the rights for speech. But free speech should not condone religious intolerance.
  2. Honestly, I won't be offended if not allowed (Allah in bible) coz I will use the word Tuhan. But I am not your typical staunch Christian.
  3. Does not offend me if not used (Allah in bible). After all one must see that it is just a word. As long as you can address God, what is in the heart that counts.
  4. I just focus on my relationship with God and not be affected by human's doings, whether rightfully or wrongfully, whether Christians or non-Christians. Don't give a rats ass about whatever word to use.
  5. To be honest, it (Allah in bible) makes very little difference to me because English has always been my first language. Also I am educated enough to know that changing a translation where the meaning is the same is really no big deal. But for those Christians whom the word Allah really means God (not a Christian God or a Muslim God, but just God), it's a big deal.
  6. Allah has been used by the Christians in Malaysia for a long, long time. It has been used not as a name itself but as a translation for the word God. It was used as an accepted translation for many many years for many Christians especially those who speak Bahasa Malaysia as their first language the word genuinely means God. To now say that it does not really does not make sense.
  7. I think this (Allah in bible) and many other issues have been blown out of proportion, and manipulated by & for politics. Our country needs peace makers not destroyers.
  8. All issues pop up for political reasons. Why now it is an issue (Allah in bible) after so many years? I live in Malay dominated area. I work in a GLC. Best buddy with a Malay in the office, but when we read newspapers, we always see issues surrounding race and religion. But when we walk on the streets or shopping mall, it's different from what was reported by the politicians. I think it's only during this climate (election).
  9. The word (Allah) is sacred to BM speaking Christians in East Malaysia. Also used by Arabs & Indonesian Christians. It's the case of cultural lingua franca. I only use English and Chinese. So I don't care much.
  10. I am a Catholic. Well, in my opinion, it's not about the word. It's about the right to use the word. We keep on promoting 1Bahasa yet we can't use the word Allah. I believe religion transcends language but some people just like to make mountains out of mole hills.
  11. Quran never said that Allah is an exclusive word to Islam and can't be used by other religions.
  12. It (Allah in bible) does not offfend me if not allowed.
  13. Tuhan is closer to the word God.
  14. Perhaps it (Allah in bible) is important to those who preach in Malay?
  15. Errr..... we don't use Allah. We use God or the equivalent in Chinese / Tamil.
  16. I don't understand why the politicians want to raise the matter (Allah in bible). Whether Allah or Tuhan, if you do good things and have a kind heart, God will always bless you. Go read a good article on this (Allah in bible) by Wong Chun Wai in his On The Beat column in Sunday Star.
  17. It not being used (Allah in bible) does not offend me at all.
  18. The word (Allah in bible) is not sacred to me. It really does not bother most Christians (not using it).
  19. Does not bother me if not used (Allah in bible). Unfortunately in our so called 1Malaysia, we have groups that still feel we are Malay.
  20. I have no problem with any word (Allah in bible).

So, there you go. From the replies, there were some that believe that it (Allah in bible) is a norm in Indonesia and have been used for many years. Well, this is Malaysia. You can go live in Indonesia if you want to. I'm sticking around here. One of the reply from a non-Muslim! went to the extent of concluding what is in the Quran! Wow! That only deserve a laughter from me. As I said previously, history, linguistic studies or religion in itself, are irrelevant. The bottom line is that, is the majority of the nation offended? If yes, then we should have the remedy. Don't we?

History, linguistic studies or religion in itself, are irrelevant. The bottom line is that, is the majority of the nation offended? If yes, then we should have the remedy. Don't we?



* kopihangtuah




| mcmlxxv:viii:xxix |

0 comments:

Post a Comment